The turbulent history of Luxembourg’s palace

April 20, 2017

According to the Luxemburger Wort:

It was in 1418 the building was mentioned in official documents for the first time as the town hall, however just over a century later, the building and much of Luxembourg city was destroyed when lightning struck the Church of the Franciscan monks and ignited a stockpile gunpowder stored in the basement.

The explosion was powerful enough to set the town hall and many other buildings alight.

As if the turbulent past wasn’t enough, the palace was converted into a concert hall and tavern by the Nazis during the Second World War.

To read the entire article in the Luxemburger Wort, please click here.

Print Friendly
Share

Previous post:

Next post: